Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I ate about a pound of farmer's cheese today

But I went to the gym yesterday. That counts for something, right? Right?

Actually, I can barely move today. I went to a class called Body Sculpt. Today I'm definitely feeling sculpted. Ouch. I'm particularly sore from about my lower back down to my knees. Our sculptor, Aleksei, stood in the front of the room, surveying the rows of struggling women and shouting "Keep your back straight! Keep your toes lower than your knee! Elbows high! Just four more - imagine how lovely your popas (bottoms) will be! We all want beautiful popas!" Aerobics is definitely more fun in Russian. I need to learn the names of more body parts.

Despite the fact that I can barely move today, now that I'm all signed up at the gym, I'm committed to getting back to my 5-6 times a week routine. Then I can eat all the farmer's cheese I want. *Insert diabolical laughter*

As I walked home from class today, I tried to think of something really really interesting, insightful, or thought-provoking to write about, but I couldn't come up with anything. Apparently I need culture shock in order to be creative. So here's some random stuff I thought up. If it's boring, I won't be offended if you don't read to the end.

I walk along a really lovely tree-lined branch of the Neva River for part of my route to university. About a week ago, one of the trees burst into red almost overnight. While part of me is a little aghast that the leaves are already turning in early September, this tree is just so beautiful that I can't help but smile every time I see it: one red-leafed tree in a whole row of green ones.

I read somewhere that you only have a certain amount of willpower (although with practice you can increase it). That means if you're using up all your willpower to, for example, stick to a crazy diet, you're more likely to give in to something else that you usually wouldn't do. I think this is true. I'm not sure if it's willpower or what, but it certainly takes a lot more energy to live in Russia and speak Russian all the time. Concurrently, I can't stop eating all the time and I have a hard time doing my homework, even though we don't really have that much (maybe an hour or so a day, if I would just sit down and do it). I'm hoping exercise helps with this, as well as simply being aware that it's happening and doing my best to stay motivated.

It's really chilly here; it's been in the 50s for about a week or so. That's not such a terrible range of temperatures, but there's no heat on anywhere in the city yet, so I end up being cold all day long. They usually turn the heat on in mid-October, but Galya says they're going to turn it on in the next week or so this year. We'll have to see. Till then: sweaters.

Exciting events this week: a trip to the US Consulate, an excursion to watch Chekhov's Uncle Vanya at the European theatre (I've actually seen this production at this theatre before, but it'll be interesting a second time as well. Plus, free!), and an HIV test to get my multi-entry visa.

Sunday several of us went to the opera The Secret Marriage at the Sankt-Peterburg Opera. This is my favorite theatre in this city, and the opera was simply wonderful. It is fantastic to be back in this theatrical city, although I have to admit, I still miss IC theatre. :)

Last Friday several us went to happy hour at Evrasia, a sushi restaurant chain that I spent many afternoons at last time I was in Piter. Wow, have prices gone up. I used to be able to do happy hour for about 150 rubles (~$5). The price of my once-favorite roll has gone from 85 rubles to 245; a half-liter of beer has gone from 60 rubles to 90. Dang. Well, happy hour is still a good deal: everything is two for one. Still, I don't think I'll be going there twice a week like I was in spring 2006.

Well, folks, I miss you all. I've been missing Iowa City a lot the past few days - I get these little waves of wishing I was just at home working a normal job like a normal person. I know homesickness is just a part of getting adjusted to being in Russia again, so I'm doing my best to ride it out.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

1) Oh my gosh, expensive Evrazia! Especially with the exchange rate in the crapper. I don't even want to know what the tasty-yet-unknown-in-America Arizona rolls cost now.

2) Yay, the Secret Marriage! Although I'm kind of shocked that they've still got that in the repertory...were you with me when I saw it there? Of course, it is also possible that they're on a 3-year rotation as far as repertoire goes, I guess.

Stefa said...

You're so cute with your title to this blog, lol. SO COOL that you're enjoying the Russian erobics class. I'm sure they work you harder than in America. So the teacher is Aleksei... is he cute? ;)

Alli said...

Kerry - I think you might be right about the 3-year rotation - this year's season looks suspiciously EXACTLY THE SAME as in 2005-06. Case in point: Дядя Ваня at the Maly Evropeiski Teatr - the same one Justin and I went to see. Hope I have a better seat this year; last time I ended up craning my neck the whole time to see over the suspiciously tall woman in front of me.

Stephanie - Aleksei is pretty cute. At least he's pretty well-muscled, and who doesn't like that? ;) But he's got this long-ish blonde hair and goatee I just can't go for.

Anonymous said...

Hey, if they have it at your gym, get into a Yoga class! That should help with the eating and lack of focus on the homework (but you know that). There is a guy who is friend's with my boss and he and his wife started a yoga studio in Iowa City (called Serendipity --I wish I had the whatever it is I need to check it out!) Anyway, he said his senior year of college he got straight A's and was just so much calmer and he attributed it all to yoga. Made me reaaaaaally want to try it. Anyways, that' just what popped into my head in response to your focus problem (how could only an hour of homework a day be anything but an afterthought for YOU, homework czarina?!)