Monday, November 3, 2008

Russian Pick-up

Walking home along Red Cadet Street. A cadet with a chirpy tenor voice starts talking to me:

Cadet: You are wearing astonishing perfume. It wafted over me as I approached from behind you. (continues in this vein, I catch something about "masculine" and "aroma.")
Me: . . . (weak smile. I'm confused. What does he mean, masculine aroma? I'm not even wearing perfume.)
Cadet: Oh, and you have a lovely smile too.
Me: . . .
Cadet: What's the deal, don't you know how to speak Russian?
Me: I know how.
Cadet: Oh, wonderful. Hooray! The girl speaks Russian.
Me: . . .
Cadet: Will you be turning here or going straight?
Me: Going straight.
Cadet: Okay then, have a good one.
Me: You too, see ya.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds awkwardly charming. was he cute?

Alli said...

If only! Haha

Peter said...

Wow...pretty funny, and yes, awkward. Is that typical of a Russian pick-up line? :)

Alli said...

To be honest, Pete, I tend to avoid men like the plague here, so I haven't heard many pick-up lines. However, perfume, pretty smile... all seems pretty typical to me. :)

Anonymous said...

what, no "zhelaesh kofe/pivo/shampanskoe,vodky?" aka "wanna have sex with me?" I dunno, this little cadet sounds like an officer and a gentleman.