Friday, August 8, 2008

Spectacular, Spectacular!


Tuesday was the school play, "The List of Good Deeds." The play was written in the 1930s and is about an actress who gets what's coming to her for criticizing the Soviet government (think Stalinist purges). As an officially sanctioned play, it was, of course, originally written with a direct message: the Soviet Union is good, those who question it are bad. However, it has taken on quite a bit of new meaning since 1931, and our theatre group definitely played up the "actually, censorship and arresting people for thinking 'incorrectly' is bad" aspects of the play. Everyone did a fantastic job, I was really impressed with the level of acting. And I understood most of what was said. =) If you'd like to see more pictures, click here.

Oh, also, Boris Borisovich shaved his magnificent beard right on stage before the beginning of the show! See the picture above for his smooth cheeks, and the video below for a view of The Beard.

The rest of this week has flown by. I managed to scrape together a presentation for today on a wing and a prayer. Now I have two days to write two essays (1000 and 500 words). Eep. I'm already past burned out, but there's only a few more days to go, so I think I'll pull through. My last final is next Wednesday. Kerry is coming to visit on Thursday and Friday, and she'll be taking me to the airport Saturday morning. Then I'm off to DC!

Sunday evening is the Russian choir concert. I'll be sure to update with images from their sure to be stupendous performance.

Last but not least, a video clip from our awesome talent show a couple weeks ago. This is Nathan, a student in Level 1, and Boris Borisovich, the Level 1 teacher, doing a Russian version of "Who's on First" called "Who's in Level 1?" Hilarious.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFL. Soooooo friggin' funny if you know Russian (well, you know, just as funny as "who's on 1st"). But well played, well played. A vignette with simple enough Russian that I (and Kto, na pervom kyrse) could understand it!

Alli said...

Happy you enjoyed it, Sveta. =) I personally giggle out loud every time I watch this clip.