Saturday, August 9, 2008

War

War has broken out in South Ossetia, Georgia. I have a friend in Georgia. He's not near the fighting at the moment, although Georgia is smaller than Iowa, so it all seems pretty close to me. I'm really worried about him, about what's going on in Georgia in general. His internet or computer or something got disconnected while we were mid-conversation today, so I don't really know what's going on with him at the moment. I feel kind of woozy thinking about it. It's one thing to hear about a war in some far off land, it's another thing when you have friends there. And it's not like they're in a war halfway around the world, like us in Iraq. It's in their country. I hope everything ends quickly and with as little additional bloodshed as possible. 1500 are already dead. Jesus.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Hey,
Your posts are always a nice little read for me. It's nice to know that there is some consistency in my reader base. As for the long overdue response to your inquiry about peace corps placement, you can request regions, but not specific countries. So, for example, I am currently in the Eastern Europe/Central Asia region. Other regions include Central/South America, Northern Africa, Asia, etc. So, it's anyones guess, because even if you request a placement, you aren't garunteed to get it. But, your interest in Georgia might be best if reconsidered. I'm not sure they take kindly to you Russki loving types nowadays.
In other news, did you hear about Dan's new job? I'm making book on how long it takes him to get invited to leave based on inappropriate behavior. Care to place a wager?